Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Sick Boy

My poor baby has been very sick. He woke up on Sunday coughing really bad (I have never heard him cough like this before) He was coughing so much it sounded like he was going to choke. I think that he was coughing stuff up, but he didnt know how to spit it out.

The last few times that I thought he was sick I have brought him to the doctors and they always say it will pass, there is not much you can do.
We have a humidifier in his room, we elevated his mattress with a pillow, and we have been sucking the boogers out of his nose (yes I did just say boogers) When I got home from work he seemed to have been feeling a little better. He was in a good mood, and not overly fussy. The only thing is that I could feel him wheezing. And when he did cough it did not sound good at all. He ate his normal cereal for breakfast and dinner, but he had not really eaten well in between. (once I thought about it it made since though, his nose was stuffed so he could not nurse very well.) He even slept fairly well.
But when he woke up he was all congested again, and his cough sounded awful. He also wanted to go back to sleep at 8 am after getting up at 630. I just knew there was something wrong so I called the doctor and got him an appointment.
Sure enough he was wheezing when we got there (the last few times when we got to the doctor he sounded fine) So right away the doctor had him take a breathing treatment...which he hated!! He cried and screamed and fought it. But after it he sounded a little better.
So we were sent home with a machine and the meds and a diagnosis of RSV. That night when we got home the treatment went much smoother. We ended up taking the mask off of the tubing because I think that is the part that he hated. As long as we let him hold the tubing he was almost content.
As a person I have always felt for children that were sick, but as a mother I feel so helpless. I just want to take the sickness away from him. Make it so that he can great easier, and feel better. Guess all I can do is give him his treatments, and cuddle him!

No comments:

Post a Comment