Saturday, January 23, 2010

Right Place Right time

Today started like any other Saturday. Hubby got up with the baby the first time he got up, and I got up around 6am with him for the day. Made coffee, watched the news blah blah blah.
We went over to my grandmothers for a bit to visit. My Uncle told me that he had bought a new car, so I asked if he needed help picking it up. We decided that we would meet him in Portsmouth around 6:30.
Hubby and I went to Target, and then to visit my in-laws for a while. We left around 5:40 to meet my Uncle in Portsmouth. On the way there, I played games on the phone, and read directions to the hubby.
We were just short of a mile away from our destination when all of a sudden my husband says....
"oh no"
So I am thinking...did we miss the turn? He continued "I think you might want to call 911"
Because I was still thinking that maybe we missed our turn I did not comprehend right away...So I said "why?"
He said, "because there is woman back there laying in the road"
It took me another minute to comprehend...its not every day there is a Woman laying in the road.
So I dialed 911, and told my husband to turn around. Honestly most of the conversation with the operator is kind of a blur...I am giving her the cross streets of where my husband saw the woman,...As we turned around a police officer passed. I told my husband to flash him, he flashed him the whole time until we got back to where he saw the woman. (honestly it was probably 10 seconds 15 max, but it felt like forever.) We pulled over, but the police officer kept driving. I had my husband pull over, and pull behind the woman, but stay kind of in the road, so that if anything was going to get hit it would be our car, and not the woman.
All the while I had a million things racing through my head.
Please let her be awake, if not awake please at least let her be breathing...
I get to her with the operator asking me all kinds of questions. "Are you okay?" Her response "I don't know" Actually that was her answer to everything I asked her. "What happened?, What is your name? Does anything hurt?"
I told my husband to take his coat off and put it over her, as she was only wearing a t-shirt!, she was laying in snow, so I also took my coat off, and put it under her arms to try to get her skin off of the cold.
I looked down and noticed she had some type of medical bracelet on. I found her name, and asked her if that was her name. She said yes. The police officer we had been flashing was back, and asked what was going on. He then realized that we were the ones that were flashing him. Looking at the other side of the bracelet we learned that she was a resident at a nursing home. The nursing home happened to be right behind me...boy did I feel dumb.
The police officer sent my husband up to the nursing home to see if they were missing a resident. Of course none of them realized they were missing anyone. As the officer is asking the woman if she is in pain, and how this happened a light went off in my head.

OH MY GOD, my son is in the car. I ask the police officer if I can go move my car....I don't want my car hit because I don't want anything to happen to him. The ambulance was pulling up, and I felt like the world worse mom ever. Who gets out of their car, and tells their husband to leave it kind of out in the road so a woman does not get hit with her son in the car? I went and moved the car, and he was sound a sleep.

Workers from the nursing home were now coming down, all kind of getting in the way of the ambulance drivers. They had come down with a wheel chair, I assume just hoping to get her inside and forget it all happened, but while the officer was talking with the woman she said that her neck hurt, so the ambulance took her to the hospital.
As she was being put into the ambulance the nurses from the home had the nerve to say "Have a nice trip see you soon"

How can you possible have a nice trip to the hospital?
All I could think of is how happy I am that my uncle is able to stay with my grandmother, and that she has constant round the clock care.

I am glad my husband saw the woman, and I hope that other than being cold nothing was wrong.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And honestly, not like that was a side street, it was pretty busy. I wonder how many people drove by and didn't see her, or didn't do anything. I am usually the one who doesn't see anything on the side of the road, but it just so happens, I saw that. Thank goodness she seemed to be OK.

    --Becky's husband

    ReplyDelete